Gentle persuasion over time

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
JR.

Re: Gentle persuasion over time

Post by JR. »

JR. wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:11 pm Is 2PM too early to start drinking? (rhetorical of course not).

what_tree.jpg

Tree down, cut, and on the burn pile.....

This thread is about finished.

JR
to update the status of the old stump, I have been dosing with beer trub for several months now.
stump1.png
The tree started out with ants in it, but it is looking worse....

I still may have to rent or pay a stump grinder to clear about 10 stumps I have around my property. I am eyeing a couple more trees to drop before I do that... I figure I can get quantity pricing on enough stumps.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
terkio

Post by terkio »

Removing tree stumps is a pain. The stump grinder is likely the best way to go. There are many tricks, but mostly not so good.
I had luck on a large stump from the help of a friendly mushroom that did a great job biting deep inside.
I wish I could patent this mushroom as a stump eater.
terkio

Post by terkio »

As an alternative to a stump grinder I think of using a bell saw.
I only have two stumps left, one is from a good size cherry tree a pretty hard wood, the other smaller but pretty hard too.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I have close to a dozen stumps so might get a volume discount for that many.

I have two trees in my short list for removing to make room for a proper garden next summer. So I'll wait until after them for professional stump assistance.

Now I am thinking of leaving a 4-6' stumps on those two and use them as anchors to string up next years vegetable plants. My tomatoes are too heavy for the bamboo stakes I'm using now.

JR
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I've always found that the first stump is the most expensive to remove since they're charging for the time and effort to tow the stump grinder to the site. You should get a good deal on multiple stumps.

On green stumps that I'm trying to kill I drill a hole in the center with a paddle bit and load it full of salt and/or concentrated liquid brush killer.
I have a neighbor that recommended diesel fuel but I've never tried it.
Gasoline doesn't work that well.
terkio

Post by terkio »

mediatechnology wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:52 am On green stumps that I'm trying to kill I drill a hole in the center with a paddle bit and load it full of salt.
I got rid of die hard young oak trees, this way.
I had to renew the salt a couple of weeks.

[Edited] Oups, I see a typo. The die hard trees are walnut trees. Planted by crows, I was told, but I think they are planted by squirrels.
[/Edited]

Using a bell saw to grind a stump, seems a bad idea.
I was told that, used on wood, it can jam, then give a strong back twist, harmful to the wrist.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:52 am I've always found that the first stump is the most expensive to remove since they're charging for the time and effort to tow the stump grinder to the site. You should get a good deal on multiple stumps.
I count about 15 stumps... I suspect a full day rate. :lol:

I was just looking at my couple remaining candidates to drop, pretty large trees and at least one is leaning in the wrong direction, but I feel lucky about steering it in a relatively safe, compromise direction.
On green stumps that I'm trying to kill I drill a hole in the center with a paddle bit and load it full of salt and/or concentrated liquid brush killer.
I've heard good old boys say kerosene or diesel will burn a green tree trunk... In my experience not that easy. I have burned a lot of green wood but it takes a good hot fire first to boil out all the moisture.

JR
terkio

Post by terkio »

I think the safe way is drilling many holes quite deep and let rot.
Later, once rotten, I have a heavy crowbar to terminate.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I've heard good old boys say kerosene or diesel will burn a green tree trunk... In my experience not that easy. I have burned a lot of green wood but it takes a good hot fire first to boil out all the moisture.
The diesel suggestion he made was to kill it to prevent re-growth not ignite it.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:02 pm
The diesel suggestion he made was to kill it to prevent re-growth not ignite it.
yup... but they were telling me how to burn "hard to burn" trees,,, The hardest tree I ever burned was the huge cottonwood that hurricane Katrina dropped in my yard, and blocking the road in front of my house.

Speaking of killing stuff I had an old neighbor RIP who would use gas to kill fire ants, it was quick but I never did like the idea a pouring gas around my yard. In a very few cases when I had ants somewhere they needed to leave quickly I used gas... fire ants will often relocate if you just disturb them. I had fire ants in my compost pile and was able to dislodge them with a shovel and patience.

JR