Entropy

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: Entropy

Post by mediatechnology »

I ASSume it's the same number, why would it change because of a lines problem?
I meant when they converted your analog loop start line to pure DSL way back when.

OK, so you're a mile from the switch. Hickory has its own central office, "CO," and not remote terminals. At least your loop is short.

My 4G (cell) modem with an analog port has an internal lithium battery to provide analog phone service for 911 calls during outages.
I think it is an FCC requirement to provide battery back-up (not a UPS) if they are providing phone service over a dry pair.
The modem they left you may have no provision for that.

EDIT: This is the new FCC rule: https://www.fcc.gov/document/24-hour-ho ... equirement

Note that it says the provider must offer it for sale. Previously, IIRC, they had to provide a 4-6 hour run time battery when it was installed and then the customer became responsible for battery maintenance.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:56 am
I ASSume it's the same number, why would it change because of a lines problem?
I meant when they converted your analog loop start line to pure DSL way back when.
It was seamless enough that I don't recall when... I suspect when they gave me the back up battery, which has a different plug end than the new modem/codec despite both being 12v Dc

OK, so you're a mile from the switch. Hickory has its own central office, "CO," and not remote terminals. At least your loop is short.
I wish I was this close to a cell tower (more like 3 miles and down a hill).
My 4G (cell) modem with an analog port has an internal lithium battery to provide analog phone service for 911 calls during outages.
I think it is an FCC requirement to provide battery back-up (not a UPS) if they are providing phone service over a dry pair.
The modem they left you may have no provision for that.

EDIT: This is the new FCC rule: https://www.fcc.gov/document/24-hour-ho ... equirement

Note that it says the provider must offer it for sale. Previously, IIRC, they had to provide a 4-6 hour run time battery when it was installed and then the customer became responsible for battery maintenance.
It looks like the new modem intentionally used a different power connector... the 12V lump PS is rated for 2A but I doubt it really uses that much power.

I wonder how many people still use land lines these days...?

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

cell coverage is so rubbish I have to use the land line. When I first movedin 8 years ago there was a wondeful standard that allowed a mobile to hand over to wifi. When I drove home the phone was handed over before I even got out the car. It was only supported by Nokia and Blackberry and not by apple so of course it just died out.. Then 5 years later Apple completely redevelops it from scratch and it's suddenly something new...sigh.
mediatechnology

T-Mobile had voice hand-off to WiFi.
Don't know why more carriers don't use it since it off-loads their networks.

We have Verizon here and its coverage is very good despite being terrain-challenged.
Since our cell phones worked so well I ported our landline to them.
Verizon had to have a cellular POTs line replacement back after hurricane Sandy and this 4G modem/router/POTS unit was it.
They didn't rebuild a lot of their copper outside plant.

How is your broadband delivered Bill?
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

voice handoff (or UMA) lacked take up as it came out as Nokia was pissing away its market lead to apple and then android both of whom wanted to bypass carriers as much as possible. Didn't help that the infra suppliers charged through the nose for the capability. It sort of lived on in femtocells for a few years, but theyve not really set the world alight either. Some great tech is just 2-3 years too late.

My broadband is old fashioned DSL. We are at the limits from the exchange as the phone lines don't go to the nearest exchange, and for 20 houses BT can't be bothered. Goes through phases of when someone calls the broadband gets knocked out. But at night I should be soldering or listening to music anyway so not that bothered :)
JR.

Post by JR. »

I suspect my new fancy smart phone (moto) can make wifi calls but I haven't found that setting yet.

It kind of defeats the purpose of having an alternate mode of communication, for events like last week when my internet was down. That said the AT&T wireless signal is not very reliable at this location.

JR
mediatechnology

Well when they turn on 5G you'll be last one to fry or get cancer from having your DNA rattled.
I see tin foil hats (and entire bodysuits) as a growth prospect.
JR.

Post by JR. »

I'd be happy to get reliable 4G... Not holding my breath for 5G. :lol:

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

Tumble drier has bust again. There was a trip of the power yesterday after which it stopped heating... Hmm Probably $50 in bits for thermostat and new heater etc or $150 for a brand new unit. I may give in.
mediatechnology

$150 for a new dryer?